Years 5 & 6 2019 - 2020
Miss Killick is our fantastic Year 5 & 6 teacher. Miss Killick loves to challenge the children in her class and sets lots of problems for the children to solve. Miss Killick is our English lead and a member of the Humanities Team. She also supports the Head Boy and Head Girl with their duties.
Welcome to Year 5 and 6
Welcome back to a new year! Our topic for Autumn term is based on the book 'Atlas of Adventures' and the theme of exploration.
- English - Atlas of Adventures is our whole school text for this term. In year 5/6 we will also be reading The Explorer by Katherine Rundell
- Maths - revision of work on number and place value before moving on to applying this knowledge for the four operations
- Geography - identifying physical and human geography of South America. Later in the term, we will be developing our navigational skills and directional knowledge
- Science - later in the term, we will be exploring our understanding of electricity and building electrical circuits
- RE - our theme for this half term is Good News and how Jesus' life continues to influence Christians
- Music - Love Music Trust will continue instument tutition on Monday
- afternoons. Please ensure instruments are in school for these sessions
- PE - will continue with Sports Coaching North West and Sam Dooley. Sessions will usually be on Monday and Thursday afternoons. Please ensure children have the correct PE kit in school.
Home learning has a huge impact on your child's learning and will benefit them significantly. Please try to read with your child every day at home and help practise their times tables and spellings. Little and often is usually best.
As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Reading is a vitally important skill for your child to practise regularly. Now we are in Year 5 and 6, the emphasis when reading at home should be on your child's comprehension and understanding of the text. Reading may be from a fiction book, information text, newspaper or a magazine. I am always interested to find out what you have been reading and your recommendations are gratefully recieved as we encourage children to develop their preferences, interests and enthusiasm. Please try to read at home and question your child's understanding at least 3 times a week.
Another vitally important part of our learning in school is the recall of times tables up to 12 x 12, including the related division facts. There is also a list of words which children should be able to spell by the end of year 6 in order to meet the required standard. We aim for children to accurately spell at least 50% of these by the end of year 5 and 100% by the end of year 6. This list will be sent home in September with children's homework books. We would greatly appreciate your help at home with practising these spellings and times tables.
Files to Download
Years 5 & 6: News items
There are no News items to display
Years 5 & 6: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Years 5 & 6: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Years 5 & 6: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display